On April 5, 2021 President Nyusi extended the mitigation measures to combat COVID-19 for an additional 21 days, and adjusted curfew regulations.
Current measures include:
- In the Greater Maputo area and all provincial capitals there is a curfew in place from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. every night.
- Commercial establishments will be open from 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday – Saturday, and 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. on Sunday. Restaurants may remain open until 8 p.m. every day.
- DIRE’s and temporary visas are automatically extended until May 31, 2021.
- Places of worship are closed, and no religious celebrations or conferences are permitted.
- Private social events are prohibited throughout the country, except for wedding registrations which may have 20 attendees maximum.
- Government events must not exceed 50 participants.
- The sale of alcoholic beverages from stalls is prohibited.
- Additional safety measures are to be immediately implemented in all public establishments.
- Public and private sector establishments will be held responsible for non-compliance with safety measures.
- The use of a clear plastic face shield does not replace the use of a facemask.
- Recreational and leisure sports and games are prohibited.
These measures are in addition to the prior measures already in place, some of which include:
- All incoming travelers must present a negative test for COVID-19.
- All persons displaying respiratory symptoms or fever must stay home.
- Discos, bars and stalls selling alcoholic beverages will remain closed.
- The sale of alcoholic beverages by bottle stores, greengrocers or supermarkets is only allowed between 8 a.m. and 1 p.m. from Monday to Saturday.
- Cultural and recreational activities in cinemas, theatres, museums, galleries, cultural centers and catering establishments are suspended.
- Gyms, swimming pools and other sports venues dedicated to the practice of physical exercises will remain closed.
- The beaches are closed for purposes of physical and leisure activities; however, this restriction does not apply to sidewalks, pedestrian zones and boardwalks adjacent to beaches.
- Expired official documents are valid until May 30, 2021.
- Teleworking is recommended, in particular for people at higher risk.