- APIEX ─Agência Para a Promoção de Investimento e Exportações─ is the Trade & Investment Promotion Agency of Mozambique.
- Industrial Free Zones differ from Special Economic Zones in the sense that they
+ Are export-oriented (at least 70% of the total production must be exported),
+ Only host industries,
+ Are located in closed regions.
- An EIA is required for investments that fall under categories A (A+ included).
- The general rule is that an employee works a maximum number of 48 hours a week and 8 hours a day, leaving 1 day a week of mandatory rest, which in principle should be a Sunday.
- The maximum number of hours an employee works a day may be increased to 9 hours if the employer grants the employee an additional half a day’s rest a week.
- Non-Mozambican workers can be employed under or outside the quota system.
- Expatriates can also be hired on a short-duration basis.
- No customs duty is payable on goods being exported, except for raw/unprocessed cashews and timber.
- The import of goods listed below is prohibited
a) Certain gases, including (i) chlorofluorcarbons (FCFs), (ii) halogens (Halon 1211, Halon 1301 and Halon 2402), (iii) carbon Tetrachloride of Carbon (CCL4), (iv) other substances banned as per the Montreal Protocol,
b) Distilled alcohol drinks that contain essence or chemical products recognized as harmful such as: Aldeido, Benzoico, Badia, Eteres silicitos, Hissopo e Tulinana,
c) Food products that are harmful to public health that cannot be used for other purposes,
d) Hallucinatory and psychiatric substances except when imported for hospital use,
e) Imitations of formulas of postal franchise used in the country,
f) Left-hand drive vehicles used for commercial purposes,
g) Medication & food products harmful to public health,
h) Merchandise with fabrication labels of false commerce or origin, books and works of art when
they are counterfeit editions,
i) Objects, photographs, albums, recordings of sound or images and film of a pornographic nature or other materials that were judged offensive to public morals and dignity,
j) Other merchandise whose prohibition of importation is established by special legislation.